Tuesday, February 22, 2011

luxurious lavender bath

To be honest, there isn't much I enjoy much than a hot bath scented with lavender. On a rough day, I can count on a bath to have a calming, rejuvenating effect on my body and my mood.

For a swap that I participated in last year, one of my partners gave be a bunch of fizzy bath bombs in various aromas. My daughters loved them and went through them so quickly that I did not get a chance to try them. I figured that, since almost anything can be made from home, there was likely a recipe for bath fizz out there, somewhere. With the help of my good friend, Google, I discovered a good half a dozen. They all used similar ingredients and the steps were nearly identical. I sort of did a pick-and-choose maneuver to come up with my very own recipe.


Fizzy Bath Bomb

Ingredients
1 cup baking soda
1/2 cup citric acid
1/2 cup Epsom salt
1/2 cup cornstarch
2 1/2 tablespoon grapeseed oil
1/2 teaspoon or so essential oil (2.46 ml)
Food coloring


Additional supplies
Large bowl
Spray bottle filled with water
Silicone ice cube tray or other mold
Jars or bags for storage

Directions
1 In large bowl, stir together baking soda, citric acid, Epsom salt, and cornstarch.
2 (Optional) Add several drops off food coloring to spray bottle filled with water, tighten nozzle, and shake to mix.
3 Spritz mixture lightly with spraybottle until mixture can be packed with your hands.
4 Mix grapeseed oil and essential oils together and add to baking soda mixture. Continue mixing/packing until aroma spreads evenly throughout. If mixture begins to dry out, spritz lightly as necessary.
5 Press mixture firmly into molds and let air dry overnight. Gently pop out of molds and store until use.


I made these on Saturday and used one today. It fizzed and was heavenly! When I made them, I added several drops of blue and red food coloring to get a nice, soft purple color. I am very pleased with how they turned out, and I might make them for favors for my future sister-in-law's bridal shower this coming fall.

No comments:

Post a Comment