Friday, February 27, 2009

My '101 Things in 1001 Days' Challenge

I first heard of the 101 Things to Do in 1001 Days challenge back in the summer of 2007, and, shortly after, I made my own list of goals to complete. Here are the rules of the challenge:

The Mission
Complete 101 present tasks in a period of 1001 days.

The Criteria
Tasks must be specific (ie. no ambiguity in the wording) with a result that is either measurable or clearly defined. Tasks must also be realistic and stretching (ie. represent some amount of work on my part.

Why 1001 Days?
Many people have created lists in the past--frequently simple goals such as New Year's resolutions. The key to beating procrastination is to set a deadline that is realistic. 1001 Days (about 2.75 years) is a better period of time than a year, because it allows you several seasons to complete the tasks, which is better for organizing and timing some tasks such as overseas trips or outdoor activities.

Some common goal setting tips
- Be decisive. Know exactly what you want, why you want it, and how you plan to achieve it.
- Stay focused. Any goal requires sustained focus from beginning to end. Constantly evaluate your progress.
- Welcome failure. Frequently, very little is learned from a venture that didi not experience failure in some form. Failure presents the opportunity to learn and makes the success more worthy.
- Write down your goals. It clarifies your thinking and reinforces your commitment.
- Keep your goals in sight. Review them frequently, and ensure that they are always at the forefront of your thinking.
_____

Now, about 2 1/2 years into my challenge, I am taking a look again to see which of my goals I have completed, which I need to focus on, and which ones I need to re-evaluate and tweak to meet my current life situation.

And, here is my mission. As I began to make progress on my list, I started crossing off the items as I completed them and writing explainations, if necessary...

Start date: July 25, 2007
End date: April 21, 2010 (my 28th birthday!)


Shana's 101 Things:

Reading
1. Reread the entire Harry Potter series, start to finish
2. Read six new novels in six months (6+/6) Rhett Butler's People, Mr. Monday, Flush, Fluke, Skinny Dip, The Stupidest Angel
3. Read 300 new books aloud to the girls (100+/100)
4. Read five books at the same time as David and discuss them with him (5/5) The Secret, Flush, Fluke, Nature Girl, A Dirty Job
5. Read all my unread books
6. Read the postpartum doula reading list (10/11)
7. Read the childbirth educator reading list
8. Read the birth doula reading list (6/6)

Writing
9. Write a letter to the editor
10. Publish an article or book
11. Create a real blog
12. Write a "To be read" letter for each David, Eva & Esme
13. Write in my journal at least twice a week for three months
14. Complete three of my many journals (3/3)
15. Write David three new love letters (3/3)

Arts & Crafts
16. Knit a blanket I knit one for Eva, one for Esme, one for a wedding gift...
17. Paint something Whirligig ornaments
18. Sculpt something I sculpted a dolphin and a mama & baby
19. Create a custom t-shirt I made several, one for David with Sonny on it, and a couple natural parenting/activism shirts.
20. Design a logo for a birth services company
21. Make all baby gifts for showers and new arrivals in advance I'm keeping on this one so far!
22. Learn to crochet
23. Teach Evelyn to knit
24. Take a bookbinding class

Photography
25. Document an entire day with pictures
26. Enter a photography contest
27. Buy a new digital camera
28. Create mini-albums for parents and grandparents twice a year

Home/Garden
29. Buy a piece of original artwork
30. Repot an orchid
31. Keep the TV off during meals for a full month
32. Keep the TV covered when not in use I'm good at this, but David is not.
33. Organize our office space
34. Make environmentally friendly cleaning projects and use them instead of alternatives
35. Spend a weekend preparing ten meals and freezing them
36. Clean out any junk and trash that accumulates in my car whenever I fill up
37. Plan and make a full meal that I've never eaten before Falafels in pita bread with fresh veggies and cucumber yogurt sauce
38. Donate a piece of clothing for every new piece of clothing I buy/get
39. Plant Spring bulbs Daffodils
40. Plant vegetables with the family Tomatoes, cucumbers, onions, peppers, collards, kale, cabbage
41. Pick apples or other fruit strawberries and tomatoes

Education/Vocation
42. Become Certified Postpartum Doula Thanks to CAPPA!
43. Become a Certified Childbirth Educator
44. Get my German back up to fluency
45. Teach Eva to read
46. Update my resume
47. Hold at least one childbirth preparation class
48. Educate myself on the pros/cons of circumcision
49. Educate my mother on the pros/cons of vaccinations

Travel
50. Travel to three states I've never been to (0/3)
51. Tour a winery or brewery
52. Visit a historical reenactment (not ren faire)
53. Visit another country
54. Take three day trips with the family (3/3) Madison, WI; Columbus, OH; Indianapolis, IN
55. Visit Kat & Chris once a year (1/3)
56. Do three letterboxing activities (1/3)
57. Walk along the sandy beach with my feet in the water I did this in Wisconsin in Lake Michigan and again in Daytona Beach, FL

Family
58. Play in the snow with the kids (winter)
59. Get pregnant with child 3
60. Go on a major family vacation We went to Florida: Disney World and Daytona Beach
61. Spend three complete days with just Eva and document with pictures and a diary/scrapbook (0/3)
62. Spend three complete days with just Esme and document with pictures and a diary/scrapbook (0/3)
63. Spend three complete days with just David and document with pictures and a diary/scrapbook (0/3)
64. Plan a large family celebration just because
65. Plan a surprise party for a loved one
66. Plan and have weekly game night
67. Go putt-putting

Finances
68. Put $100 extra a month toward paying off the rest of our debts
69. Put 50 cents in a jar everyday for 1001 days and buy something special for myself
70. Start a savings account for the girls
71. Save 50 cents a day for Christmas presents
72. Save all bonuses, tax returns, and rolled coins for a full year
73. After debts are paid off, $100 extra a month into savings
74. Increase my 401K
75. Establish a 12 month emergency fund

Health/Beauty
76. Take Tai-Chi with the family twice a week for a month
77. Floss everyday for a month (30/30) And I'm still doing this!!
78. Henna my hair
79. Eat nothing but fruit and veggies for 10 days
80. Take my supplements everyday for 10 days
81. Get henna done three times and photograph the design (0/3)
82. Get one full body massage a month for three months
83. Find an ND or an MD who practices natural medicine for the girls He's a homeopathic family doctor.
84. Find and buy the perfect purse Garage sale, 50 cents!
85. Try wearing contacts

Activate
86. Find a religious community to attend
87. Meditate at least once a day for a week
88. Take part in a protest for a cause I believe in Can you say Applebee's Nurse In??
89. Buy no new items for a month (excluding health & safety items, food, underwear)
90. Do a random act of kindness once a day for two weeks
91. Establish a childbirth services company
92. Attend three LaLache League meetings (3/3)
93. Establish a "mothering" group/circle
94. Have a serious discussion on breastfeeding with someone I normally would not talk about it with

Misc.
95. Pack my lunch for an entire month
96. Find a drive-in and see a movie
97. Draft and get notarized a living will
98. Be more mindful
99. Compile a book of recipes
100. Watch the sun set
101. Watch the sun rise

No comments:

Post a Comment